With my google history you wouldn’t think that I was doing this for the second time. Strange that it now seems like a hazy blur.
‘What to pack in a hospital bag’
Scrolling through the endless lists on Google I remembered that I didn’t use half of it.
Here is the contents of mine and babys hospital bag. Let me know if I’ve missed any obvious ones.
- Hospital notes
- Birth plan- but honestly ‘to have baby’ is plan enough, if you achieve that you have succeeded regardless of the journey
- Button up nightie
- Lip balm (gas and air dries your lips so bad)
- Slipper socks
- Slippers (you may be told to go a walk)
- Night gown (incase you go that walk, last time I didn’t have one and done the waddle walk in my nightie. I was passed caring but clearly for the poor people visiting at the hospital it was a sight they would rather not see)
- Hair bobbles/ hair band
- Ear phone
- Some sweets- you can get a bad taste in your mouth so mints or sweets close by are great
- If a water birth is on your plan a bikini top – unfortunately I have not packed this as due to low blood pressure I will not be allowed in the birthing pool
- I am also packing magazines as I know I will be induced so the first stages can be long.
- Maternity pads (at least 20) Better safe than sorry with this one and don’t bother packing the ‘ultra slim’ ones for the hospital.
- Loose Pjs or a fresh nightie if you have a C-section and would rather nothing was touching the scar x2.
- Dark Granny panties (disposable if you wish but cheap cotton ones would be a lot more comfortable) x4
- Nursing bras x 2
- Breast pads (needed if nursing or not, ensures the only risk of spilt milk is from the tea cart)
- Mobile phone – For contact, music and camera
- Going home outfit (dress for comfort, maxi/ midi dresses are great but don’t forget you will still be about the same size you were at 7months pregnant.)
- Toiletry bag
- Tooth brush
- Tooth paste
- Shower gel
- Dry shampoo
- Hair brush
- Moisturiser (you feel so dry after)
- Make up (if you wish to freshen up a little before visitors)
- Facial wipes
- Perfume (if you could pick up a sample it’s great for saving space)
- Face cloth- if you have had epidural or section you can send your partner to rinse it out to freshen up from bed.
- A plastic bag (great to put away any dirty or stained clothes)
- 1 small pack of nappies
- Baby wash
- Cotton wool balls
- Water wipes (99% water for delicate skin)
- Vaseline/ soda cream
- Lansinoh nipple cream (if intending to breastfeed)
- Anti bac hand gel
- Vests x 4
- Baby grows x 4
- 1 pair socks
- 2 hats
- Bibs x 4
- Scratch mittens x 2
- Pram suit (for colder months)
- Little Teddy or comforter
A spare top and refreshments are great for your birthing partner to bring incase the event itself lasts longer than anticipated *anticipate nothing!*
If you have other kids it can be nice to bring them a small toy from the baby so they don’t feel left out. I have a build a bear for Bella with a prerecorded sounding of the babies heart beat that’s inside it. Nice to keep and Bella got to make it.
Anything I have missed please let me know!